Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Gift of Time

Christmas is almost here!

It's a time of joy and yet, every year, I get trapped by the culture and try hard to pull myself out of the trap before we celebrate the blessed birth of our lord, Jesus Christ. 

20 more days til Christmas, 8 more days til Christmas, buy 1 get one free, best deal of the season, don't miss out, 4 days til Christmas, free express shipping with a purchase of $100 or more, 50% from 12am to 6am... 

STOP IT ALREADY!

Who doesn't feel stress and pressure to buy the perfect gift, decorate the perfect tree, wrap the gifts as if Martha Stewart was their personal coach, and bake 6 dozen different Christmas cookies to give to all our friends?  Then there's the pressure to buy gifts for everyone, including the mailman, newspaper delivery lady, hair stylist, teachers, cleaning people, etc, etc etc...

I AM NOT A SCROOGE!



But, it can be overwhelming even to those of us who try to be somewhat "counter-cultural" during Christmas overdrive.  It sure doesn't seem like our economy is still sluggish after the 2007 crash when I see how many people are on the roads heading to the malls and standing in long lines to buy STUFF.

So yesterday we SLOWED DOWN... and I gave the kids

"THE GIFT OF TIME..."

my time.



No TV.



No Internet/Facebook/Email checking.



Just my time and look what happened?

I taught the girls how to make sugar cookies, roll out dough, cut out with cookie cutters, bake until lightly golden, and make some killer tie-dye style icing for the girls to get creative.

This has been one of the best 2 hours I've spent all season.
Earlier the same day, I had a little tea party with John Michael and Greta.


and watching Greta teach John Michael how to be a sweet Joseph.  I had to laugh... they used the arm covers off of my couch and recliner for head pieces...  So creative and so sweet.  This is what it's about... nevermind the mess that they made.  This is what it's all about.


 Today, I spent 2 1/2 hours with Nic... shopping, going to lunch, and the library together.  It really has been good for us to ssssssllllllllllllllloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww  down.

Even if you only have a small amount of time to give, kids will thrive when they have your uninterrupted attention. 

NO CELL PHONES, NO CHECKING EMAIL, NO FACEBOOK, and NO TEXTING...

Try it... you might like it  :-)

Merry Christmas from John Michael and his family...

PEACE!

5 comments:

  1. Love this.... and looking forward to slowing down for 2 weeks with my little man. Merry Christmas, Crumleys. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I've been trying to slow down... not worrying about doing too much and just saying no!

    Merry merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to this as well....in fact Dec. 24 and 25 I vow NOT to be on my phone or computer...checking out in order to check in with my family :)! thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, what wonderful memories and sweet shots too

    ReplyDelete