Wednesday, July 27, 2011

He's Making a Difference!

Every Wednesday morning, around 7:30 am, the garbage and recycling trucks blaze through our neighborhood. For John Michael, as with all our kids, this is an event you don't want to miss :-)  Before the truck is even on our street, we hear a low rumbling sound from a block away, followed by the high-pitched screech of the brakes, and finally, the loud machine grabbing the can and lifting the garbage up and over the top.  It's truly a magical sight to behold when you're a 3 year old boy!

And every Wednesday, Doug or I do our best to race John Michael out the front door to watch the garbage truck do its business and also to wave to the driver, who always waves and smiles back.


Today, Doug raced John Michael outside, but the truck had already passed.  It was about 8 houses up the street when the truck came to an abrupt halt and started going in reverse... all the way to our house!
The driver told Doug that today was his last day on this route and he had hoped he would see them.  He had something for John Michael.


The driver got out of his truck and handed John Michael a brand-new baseball cap from Sacramento County's Waste Management department.  John Michael became shy, but took the hat and held on to it.  Later on, inside, he modeled it for me.  It has a green garbage truck embroidered on it.  Very cool!

Doug shook his hand and thanked him.  When Doug told me about the exchange, I was so touched by the gesture that I had tears.  Obviously, John Michael made an impact on this man... a man we only saw once a week for a meer 20 seconds or so.  But somehow, John Michael made a difference in this man's life and touched him in a way that prompted him to think of JM before he went on his last route passing by our house this morning.  I don't know if it's because John Michael has Down syndrome.  I'll never know.  But I want the truck driver to know that he made a difference in our lives, too.  And we're grateful.

On a final note -- I had a number of comments on my last blog post regarding having another child after having a child with Down syndrome.  Thank you for your kind words.  I know the struggle that exists in that decision, but if you look at the photo of my 3 boys, I'd say Luke fits in perfectly, don't you?

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that is the most amazing thing....I love that the garbage truck drove in reverse for JM...that is AWESOME and shows how much JM touched that driver's soul. And that last picture of the boys....HANDSOME!!! WOWZA!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tears and goose bumps too...what a great story! Love, love love the last picture of your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh tears in my eyes too. That is a sweet, sweet story. Absolutely making a difference. I think you all are. And yes- that picture of your sweet boys. No one could argue with the perfection there.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all teary-eyed reading this...what a sweet, sweet gesture. I love seeing how our children impact the lives of others. In some small way, I think they affect almost everyone. I've done a few posts recently about connections, and how those connections exist everywhere, but we don't always see them. But when we do...watch out! Tears will keep on flowing, all in a good way. John Michael is going to change a lot of lives...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, this had me in tears too! I love your family Monica...And thanks for sending me that quick email after my last comment on your post about having another baby. You have been a good friend to me through out my journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh now I am in tears reading this. How awesome. I can remember when Aidan used to run for the front door on trash Wednesdays too. So sweet! Yep I do think Luke fits in perfectly, just as God intended

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got teary eyed reading this post too! How absolutely sweet of that man!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful! What a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. John Michael is such a joyful, spunky and full of life little boy. He is full or smiles and is an inspirational hero. That is so awesome about the connection of him and the garbage truck driver. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and I love it when people sign my guestbook. I have developmental delays, and I have friends who have down syndrome. I am a big supporter of Down syndrome. I go to buddy walk every year, and other functions put on by the ups and downs society. I love kids, teens and adults who have down syndrome. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete